[Bradford] Success! Zinio on Ubuntu

Alice Kaerast alice at kaerast.info
Thu May 30 20:37:04 UTC 2013

You're using Gnome here right?  My usual problem with Air is that since I'm
using neither Gnome nor KDE it has no idea how to handle keyrings.  There
are some environment parameters you can pass in to make it use the Gnome
keyring I believe (you'll need to make sure the tools are actually
installed), it's been a while since I've had to use Air though so I can't
remember any specifics.

In your case though ldd is your friend.  It'll output the exact filenames
of libraries that a dynamic excutable will try to load, and flag any which
are missing.  I don't think I've got any broken executables on this
machine, but a working one will output something like the following:

➜  ~  ldd /bin/bash
linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb77dc000)
libtinfo.so.5 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5 (0xb779e000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xb779a000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb7636000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb77dd000)

Whilst a non-executable (including bash/tcl/php/perl/ruby/etc scripts) will
output:

➜  ~  ldd railmap.png
not a dynamic executable

You can also run this against a library itself:

➜  ~  ldd /lib/ld-linux.so.2
statically linked
➜  ~  ldd /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5
linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb779e000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/i386-linux-gnu/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xb75fd000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb779f000)

Regards
Alice