[Bradford] Google+

Mohammed Djavanroodi mo.roodi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 20 09:28:53 UTC 2014

I thought about doing the same when Google announced they were merging
GMail and Google+ contacts, but I decided against it because it's something
that I thought was inevitable anyway, and personally I believe that Google+
is going to become more and more ubiquitous across all of Google's various
products, and I don't necessarily think of this as a bad thing.

In light of the change what I have done is gone back and re-checked my
privacy and security settings. The one thing I find incredibly annoying is
there still seems to be a disconnect between the Google+, and Gmail privacy
settings, which means that in order to check my privacy settings I've had
to trawl through 2 separate (and very different) interfaces to check all
the settings. I have opted for a slightly more relaxed set of settings than
a "nobody can see me" approach. If I add people to my circles then they can
interact with me, but only people in my circles can interact with me. I
also have various different circles each with it's own set of settings (so
my colleagues have different permissions to my friends who have different
permissions to the people I follow etc). The level of control that Google
gives does make Facebook's attempts at privacy settings look "lacking" at
best.

I fully accept that Google is mining a huge amount of information about me,
not just via Google+, but also from Google Chrome, and YouTube and Android,
and Gmail, and I'm actually OK with this for the most part. I know that
Google needs to make money to carry on, and they way it makes money is
through information.

And let's not forget that Google is now in the top 10 kernel contributors
and one of the only companies currently distributing Linux based laptops
through major distribution channels... So Linux is benefiting from this too!