[Bradford] Fwd: Don't let the MPAA buy the Web

David Spencer baildon.research at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 21 20:15:55 UTC 2014

> Though slightly less dramatically engaging, I suspect that the MPAA
> has just been trying (without great success) to make money, and
> attempts to gain influence over people's lives is merely a side
> effect...

Well, that's interesting.  Let us compare the MPAA with that pillar of
the community Wernher von Braun, who was trying (with some success) to
make nice rockets, and smoking death craters in and around London was
merely a side effect. Is excellence in engineering sufficiently
morally better than greed, such that it wipes out (like a sort of
moral carbon offset) the greater evil of dead civilians over the
lesser evil of imprisoned entrepreneurs?  Maybe we should ask on Yahoo
Answers.

Meanwhile, the mission creep of web blocking is moving further and
faster than our worst fears:
BT and TalkTalk Reject Demand to Obstruct Unlicensed Gambling Sites
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/01/uk-isps-bt-talktalk-reject-demand-obstruct-unlicensed-gambling-sites.html

Jolly hockey sticks
-D.