[Bradford] Fwd: Don't let the MPAA buy the Web

John R. Hudson j.r.hudson at virginmedia.com
Tue Jan 21 21:17:35 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 20:15 +0000, David Spencer wrote:
> Meanwhile, the mission creep of web blocking is moving further and
> faster than our worst fears:
> BT and TalkTalk Reject Demand to Obstruct Unlicensed Gambling Sites
> http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/01/uk-isps-bt-talktalk-reject-demand-obstruct-unlicensed-gambling-sites.html

This isn't new - the Charity Organisation Society was set up in the 19th
century basically to police the lower working classes on behalf of a
worried middle class. It didn't need any law to back it to be allowed to
do what it did.

Plenty of people think they have the same right to police others as the
Charity Organisation Society thought it had in the 19th century.

We can explain to some of them that the world has changed; the rest will
simply look at us in incomprehension that they cannot do what they
(wrongly) think they have a right to do.