[Bradford] Linux Audio: A list of questions that you may be able to answer??

Brian A bradlug at techchico.org.uk
Tue Nov 25 22:25:43 UTC 2014

 I won't bore you with the details of how this arose. I have been contacted
by an Undergraduate studying in Berlin. He wants opinions on Linux Audio.
If anyone cares to answer any questions then I will copy and email them to
him. Be as brief or verbose as you wish.

|What technical advantages and capabilities does the Linux audio
architecture offer over |Core Audio and ASIO for professional audio work?
|What do you consider to be the major weaknesses of the Linux audio
architecture in its current state |and how could they be improved? What
lessons could be learned from other operating systems? |Would it be
beneficial for any number of software components in the Linux audio stack
(ALSA, JACK, PulseAudio) |to merge into a single, unified project? If so,
would it even be a feasible effort? |What efforts should and could be taken
in order to simplify audio on Linux? |ALSA, along with JACK and PulseAudio,
operates mostly in userspace. |What are the advantages of this design
decision over a kernel-based approach? |Is there an inherent latency
advantage to audio systems that operate in kernelspace and if yes, to what
extent? |Would you, personally, consider the Linux audio stack (ALSA +
JACK) sufficiently suitable for professional |workloads when compared to
Core Audio and ASIO? |In your opinion, what is the main reason that holds
mainstream adoption of Linux systems for audio work back? |Thank you for
your time.