[Bradford] Debian will fork to Devuan

Robert Burrell Donkin robertburrelldonkin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 16:48:28 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 8:09 PM, David Spencer
<baildon.research at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Why complicate for the sake
>> of it?
>
> Because Lennart's career.

(I'm not sure I'd describe that in quite those terms, but - in the
spirit of Christmas Past - I'll let it one ride...)

> And Kay's, Harald's, Tom's, Olav's, Daniel's, Tollef's, Bdale's, (etc etc)

Shurely everyone must have by now heard about how great binary drivers
are in the kernel, so these wise old goats^H^H^H^H^Hmen decided to
prove the point...

> Also, because Enterprise.  (not the one with T'Pol)

At the risk of being fair, if The Enterprise is screaming "Spock save
us all from Evil Init Scripts" then it's doing so really, really,
really, really q...u...i...e..t...l...y...

Binary-only should help vendors to screw more cash out of more - or
less - useful businesses. Then again, most enterprise procurement is
so rubbish that I'm not sure it'd make much difference...

> I don't see you, me, or Noam Chomsky on that list.  We lose.  Sorry.

Oh contrare! Pushing Deb-Ian off the High Hoss is great for everyone -
and without Lennart, there'd be one less person fully deserving of the
ridicule they receive...

And don't forget that Debian's signing key length is so short that
well wishers might choose to charitably do some creative deb
replacement this Christmas...

Drop Deb! Come to Gentoo! Great for keeping your house warm now tha
XMas is coming!

Robert