[Bradford] Fw: It Happened

Nick Rhodes nick at ngrhodes.co.uk
Wed Feb 25 09:44:08 UTC 2015

If they are worried about loosing their internet connection, first thing is
to comply with the request, regardless if the strikes are warranted or not,
then decide to either carry on or make a challenge.

It is important that they make their own informed decision and verify all
statements and opinions as there is a lot of sweeping statements made about
copyright and torrents that do not account for regional differences in laws
and enforcement.
Some countries downloading is technically illegal for example, but laws
prevent enforcement agencies being able to gather the information (because
to the only people who can legally prove a download have to have a licence
to legally distribute, making the observed download legal) and quite often
what are civil/contract issues and what is criminal varies too.

If the torrents are of dubious source, then you really need to weigh up the
risks vs the gain and alternatives.
Its a personal and moral choice, would there be a detriment to dependant
school kids education for example.
Movies can be bought very cheap on eBay and rented at sensible prices, is
this a viable option ?

Of course if they feel the strikes are unfair, you can challenge them, ask
for evidence, but is it worth the effort when most service providers have
clauses to terminate contracts without reason.

There are proxies, seed hosts, VPN other techniques used to help mask
torrent activity from you ISP.
I have no experience, but there is plenty of info about, Torrentfreak is a
good website to look at.

And now some legal blurb, all IMHO and may be outdated.

The USA has statutory fines for piracy, making it more economically viable
to sue compared to the UK (where losses have to be proven, which for non
commercial activity is very hard to prove) and also the US legal system
puts more emphasis on downloaders responsibilities for adhering to
copyright, whereas in the UK for non commercial use, the responsibility is
entirety on the distributor, the uploaded/seeder.
In both UK and US as soon as money gets involved it becomes a more
completed situation (including profiting from add on tracker listing
sites), potentially criminal, but I've never been able to fathom the exact
legalities for UK or US in for-profit circumstances.