[Bradford] Daily Telegraph: Spies should be able to monitor all online messaging, says David Cameron -

Alice Kaerast alice at kaerast.info
Tue Jan 13 21:11:07 UTC 2015

I think we've actually misunderstood Cameron's statement.  The point is not
to ban all encryption in the UK, business would not support that so it
would never get through.  The point is to ban encryption which actually
works against government agencies.  The only reason VPNs are still legal in
this country is because businesses would have a hard time operating without
them.

Take a popular online bank's website, it's running SSLv3, SHA1, and not
using Forward Security.  That's not enough to protect against the NSA, but
the EV certificate will keep customers happy and it will protect them
against most attackers.

The target of Cameron's comments then isn't people and businesses using
https websites and default-configured ssh connections, it's tools and
organisations which are actually secure.  It's Jabber OTR, it's SSH
configured correctly, it's GPG and redphone and Whatsapp, and it might be
full disk encryption too.  Perfect Forward Secrecy is of particular
importance here for https/ssl connections, without it access to the
server's private keys allows for decryption of messages captured on the
wire.

In a way the banning of encryption systems which the government are unable
to break would be helpful as a way of showing which systems actually work.

Regards
Alice

On 13 January 2015 at 20:50, David Bolton <david at nucleon.co.uk> wrote:

> Cory Doctorow's take on this:
>
> > "What David Cameron just proposed would endanger every Briton and
> destroy the IT industry"
>
> http://boingboing.net/2015/01/13/what-david-cameron-just-propos.html
>
> @frogfall
>
> p.s. BTW, I'm back on Diaspora* - as there is a new UK Pod.
>
> https://joindiaspora.co.uk/u/frogfall
>

> On 13/01/15 08:37, John Robert Hudson wrote:
>
>> I thought they already could :-)
>>
>> John
>> --
>> On Tuesday 13 Jan 2015 00:18:00 David Spencer wrote:
>>
>>> Holy moly :O

Mx Alice Kaerast
Devops supergirl, agile coach, corporate sysadmin, optimisationeer