[Bradford] Which Network Manager?

Devo Too mike_g at devotoo.org.uk
Sat May 18 18:44:01 UTC 2019

Hi Folks,

I've taken on a "new" chunk of old iron with a host that seems better
equipped to talk with its customers, like both a telephone number which
gets answered and an email address which gets replied to. They've given
me an IPv6 /64 range but don't offer IPv6 support of any kind and SLAAC
is not enabled.

Apparently I can configure IPv6 using almost any network manager so long
as it can fulfil DHCP functionality. That's according to various web
searches, although the searches have so far failed to produce a
reasonably straightforward explanation of how to do that.

So, for my starting point, I've upgraded Debian8 to Debian9 which seemed
to go OK, then tried to install radvd, which didn't. A first in my
experience, apt tried to open it whilst installing and got an error, so
didn't get as far as adding the /etc/ravdv.conf file. In fact it only
installed two of the four it was supposed to. Nor is there an
/etc/dhcpcd.conf file so I assume that's missing too.

However, it may be that I don't need it if a network management
application can do the job.

So, does anybody out there know a command to tell me which network
manager is actually working on my new chunk of old iron, please? dpkg -l
lists a few possible candidates within the output and I don't know which
are actually in use.

Cheers,

Mike