[Bradford] Alternative to Arch

Bernard Czenkusz bernie.skipole at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 14:09:44 UTC 2020

Regarding a server distribution, I would add Ubuntu Server - though I
can't compare it to anything else, since I've not tried anything else
for a long time. I like it since I use Mint for my laptop/desktop and
Raspbian for Pi's, and as they're all Debian based they're all familiar.

It's not rolling release, but they have a Long-Term support version for
stability.

Ubuntu are the authors of the LXD tools for managing LXC containers, so
runs very well on their server. I can whip up multiple 'container
servers' very easily, each for trying out different things, and then
delete them equally easily, while keeping the base server relatively clean.

I have a (virtual) server at webparametrics.co.uk, from www.ovh.co.uk
and have an NGINX web service on it that forwards calls to multiple LXC
containers running within it. This allows me to run each container with
its own postgresql/redis/web stuff without interfering with any of the
others.

- On another topic to the rest of the group; you may remember I was
trying to get a video of a Hedgehog some time ago using a Raspberry Pi.
It gave a very poor image with just two infra red LED's, so I bought ten
more, and set it up again.

I got the critter last night, and I've put the video up at
webparametrics.co.uk, have a look, and I'll show some photo's of the
setup at the next meet. The video is poor, but a lot better than the
last one, you may need to view it in a darkened room! Even a dozen LED's
aren't enough, it probably needs thirty or forty, however it does
conclusively prove it is a hedgehog, and not a rat!

Cheers

    Bernard