[Bradford] Alternative to Arch

Moanin moanin at mikegoodman.uk
Tue May 26 11:57:03 UTC 2020

Hi Folks,

I've been trying Arch as a distro to run a server on. I've found it
excellent for all the standard stuff. But anything out of the ordinary
is almost freakish. There's and AUR - Arch User Repository - and each
time I've had to use it to date there has been a "security" problem
which has made the installation fail. Such as out of date GPG keys or
the "built" Zend engine not matching the "running" Zend engine.

With two packages now needing AUR based PHP modules, for which PHP
breaks altogether or don't get used if the AUR is bypassed, I am now
looking for a stable distro which doesn't need a complete backup and
reinstall every few months. AUR can't match that although Arch itself is
the ideal solution for non-AUR purposes.

The plan is to keep Arch on the current server and move those two
packages onto a couple of new VPSs running another distro.

So, any recommendations please folks?

TIA

Mike