[Bradford] Assistance wanted

Steve Kerr steve at cullingworth.net
Wed Sep 23 19:56:42 UTC 2020

Hi Roger,

You should start your diagnostics on the 'file storage' machine (I've
assumed this is a Linux PC), checking the following, in order...

1) Is it powered on!!!  Yes, really, I have come across this cause of a
similar problem before!
2) Is it fully booted up - e.g. can you log in at the console.
3) Does it have a network address: "ip addr" on the console.
4) Can you ping another machine on the network by IP address (e.g. the
default gateway - usually your router, often at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1)
5) Can you ping the same machine by name (assuming you have some kind of
DNS or mDNS set up) - this is only really important if you access the
fileserver by name rather than IP address.

If the answer to all of the above is "yes", then start testing network
connectivity from one of the machines that you expect to be able to connect
to the fileserver. Repeat steps 3-5 above on a 'client' machine, but check
connectivity to the fileserver rather than the gateway.

If any of the above fail, let us know what and we can start to drill down
form there.
You didn't mention if the network is wired or wireless (or a mix) - it
could be useful to know.
Note that it's unlikely to be a lack of software updates causing the lack
of connectivity.

Feel free to contact me directly or via mailman.

Best Regards
Steve