[Chester LUG] What do you guys do with old hardware

Stuart Burns stuart.james.burns at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 14:08:04 UTC 2006

Hi Les,

Yeah, The thing as a group as sounds good because I have tried before to try
and get the local council involved, wrote a nice letter to the local council
and MP to see if a) they could help or b) donate to a worthy cause. It was a
big fat NO from both of them, but I really think it could be a good idea.
For example I know a lot of colleges are paying "scrap merchants" to take
away fully working P3 1GHz machines every term end when they get the new 3
GHz dual core machines etc

I'd be interested in doing it and if it works, it would save this company at
least a few hundred a year in "landfill fees" not that it would end up in
the landfill, if you get my meaning.

I mean, on top of all that kit, I have 3 17" crts that are going in the bin
so to speak, and its just wasteful ! And just think, if our 100 person
company has these machines kicking about a lot of others must have an even
bigger amount. ie Octel, Shell, all the financial service companies in
chester and the like (although I have no doubt that they have removal
mechanisms in place)

Only problem I forsee that would be a pain is when they try and install
"Need for speed 3" on the linux boxen ;)

Interesting thought though!