[Chester LUG] RE: [SC.LUG] Linux MS Office look-alikes in practice.

Tom Mitchell trmitchell at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Sep 25 16:53:41 UTC 2006

Roger,
I have got MSoffice and excel to work under wine in PClInuxos and under
crossover office in Xandros. Both are good distros to look at. Xandros is
probably the most like windows in looks and operation. Crossover costs money
though, wine doesnt!! Crossover is included in the more expensive version of
Xandros.
Both are easy to setup. In my opinion easier than Suse.
Openoffice is a good suite to use for most things. Abiword is good too.
It is certainly worth a go for charities to save money.
Openoffice sometimes does funny things with electronic word docs along the
lines you talk about. My kids found it difficult to fill in some document
forms produced by their school.  The docs could only be filled in by using
MSword. Apart from that instance I use open office without a problem.
You may find some resistance to changing what people are familiar with,
especially if my kids are anything to go by.  A trial may be best on a
couple of machines to show how good the system is and explore what may be
problematic.

regards
Tom