[Chester LUG] Re: [SC.LUG] Linux MS Office look-alikes in practice.

Les Pritchard les.pritchard at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 11:11:28 UTC 2006

I've also been generally happy with Open Office.  I have installed it on
some non-techie people's computers and they've been very pleased with it.
However I've also run into problems with word forms going a bit wrong in OO.

One possibility could be that they use OO for day to day stuff and keep Word
(assuming they already have the licenses) available via Wine for the odd
document that has problems.  Granted many may just choose to use Word for
everything, but at least they'll have the choice.

I think that the next year could be a very good time for OO as the new
version of Office is very different from the earlier ones.  It looks like
they're dropping menus and trying to change the way people use it.  So that
could be a great chance to say "Ok, you can learn this new office (and spend
lots of money on it) or go with something (OO) that is very similar to what
you already know.  Could be a good solution for organisations without the
money.

Les