[Chester LUG] Try that again

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Fri Aug 31 10:41:02 UTC 2007

On Friday 31 August 2007, Stuart Burns wrote:
> Ok, Its friday morning and we all know we are not in the mood for work, so
> I thought of an interesting question to debate:
>
> Suppose you were a researcher and you found a way to speed up all computer
> operations by 300%, irrespective of OS.
>
> Now we all realise the value of this. Old computers would become super fast
> again, and their life prolonged, and new ones would be insanely fast.
>
> However would you let MS use the technology, lock it into their systems and
> become a very rich person indeed or would you just GPL it and make linux
> become light years ahead of Windows, but be a poor person ?

One approach.

Get patent rights in all regions. Give open source OS's free unlimited
lifetime licenses. At the same time license the technology to non free OS's
for large amounts of cash.

Best of both worlds..

 Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden.

See: <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
regarding Word or PowerPoint. GPG key available on request.