[Chester LUG] MSc in open source technology

George george at goatadsl.co.uk
Mon Feb 19 19:35:03 UTC 2007

Stuart Burns wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am after a bit of feedback here. I wasn't planning on doing it, but I
> saw the above course advertised on slashdot.

I had a look too out of interest after seeing the same banner. Not that
I'm in the market for a degree course but it does look a little
"bandwagonish" to me - if someone has done a degree in say, Software
Engineering then the licence of the software they're engineering
shouldn't make much of a difference to how they go about producing it,
baring in mind that University is meant to teach concepts and not
vocational skills.

If you already have a degree I would consider doing LPI, you can do the
exams at a local testing center for a small cost (about £50 I think when
I looked) and even if you don't do the exams working through one of
their study guides'll teach you a lot about using Linux without being
too specific about how one distribution is arranged. Then, read "The
Cathedral and the Bazaar" for a dash of philosophy and you're sorted :)

George