[Chester LUG] MSc in open source technology

Les Pritchard les.pritchard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 10:53:56 UTC 2007

I'd be tempted to agree with George - it does sound like it may be the
bandwagon passing (although I haven't looked in any detail of the course
specifics).

It all depends what you need from the course.  If it's academic
qualifications then yes it might be worth it, but if you want to just learn
about the technology (i.e. *nix) then one of the professional courses would
give you more 'real' knowledge.  Academic courses have to include science
and theory, which, whilst useful to know, will take time away from learning
usable everyday skills.

As George said, the exams are very cheap if you're happy to teach yourself.
Otherwise there are plenty of intensive courses you can go on (some cheap
ones involve a trip to India!) that should bring your knowledge up to
scratch.

Les