[Chester LUG] [Fwd: [GeekUp] Fwd: [man-lug] Announcing Manchester Free Software]

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 23 19:27:55 UTC 2007

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: Michael Sparks

To: connect at geekup.org
Subject: [GeekUp] Fwd: [man-lug] Announcing Manchester Free Software
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:50:30 +0100

Subject: [man-lug] Announcing Manchester Free Software
Date: Monday 23 July 2007 00:26
From: Matt Lee <mattl at cs.man.ac.uk>
To: Man-lug <man-lug at lists.man.ac.uk>, linux-users at lists.man.ac.uk

Free Software!

Starting today, I am announcing the creation of Manchester Free
Software. This group exists to promote the mission of GNU/Linux and
Free Software around the Manchester area. People interested in
GNU/Linux and free software as an ethical choice are encouraged to
join the group, via the mailing list, and help shape the organisation.

Why do we need this group?

It is my opinion that while the LUG and BSD groups are fairly active,
as well as the University's own group, there is a distinct group of
individuals from the area who are actively working with free software
from a position of ethics and there is no obvious place for these
people to exist and discuss matters. Further, there is an obvious and
ugly sentiment against those who favour Free Software as an ethical
choice from a few individuals.

There is also the GNU/Linux Social Scene from GWANNO.

How you can contribute

Help shape the organisation into the kind of group where issues like
GNU/Linux, DRM, Free Software, Free Drivers, Campaigning against
proprietary media formats and Free Software Licensing can be discussed
openly and freely, without fear of trolling from a vocal minority and
where individuals can make a difference.

If you are the kind of person who would like to know more about Free
Software, about the GNU Project and about GNU/Linux and issues
surrounding these, please join our mailing list.

matt
Manchester Free Software