[Chester LUG] Would you consider a Macbook?

Scott Fraser scott.fraser at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 13:07:43 UTC 2007

I have had a macbook since last October/November.  Nice machine, good
battery life, instant suspend/resume on OSX so it's all fine.

I also have Ubuntu and Win XP installed.  I can say that Ubuntu on a
Macbook is extremely sweet - very fast and makes OSX look laggardly.
Feisty installed with minimal fuss after using bootcamp to partition
(I installed Dapper before and it was a pain) and suspend to ram works
flawlessly when closing the lid, wireless works out of the box and
it's just generally a lovely experience.  The biggest pain is the lack
of 2 button mice on the machine - you can emulate but if I'm at a desk
I'll use Ubuntu with an external mouse but on the go I stick with OSX
unless I need Monodevelop.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook suggests that with the
current generation wireless doesn't work out the box but needs some
updated drivers, but it's not a big problem.

Scott