[Chester LUG] Good laptops without the Windows tax

Scott Fraser scott.fraser at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 17:29:37 UTC 2007

Not technically what was asked but I can say that the apple Macbooks
work beautifully with Linux - pretty much everything is supported.
Installing Ubuntu was slightly more painful than normal (mainly due
to the bootloader being wildly different) but not too hard - AFAIK
there is now a project which has updated a standard Ubuntu with what
is needed.

I have OSX (which isn't that bad - I probably use this most of all),
Ubuntu and windows XP installed (for 2 windows only programs) and I
have no complaints at all.  Battery life is also good.

Another benefit is that if the standard config is good enough then
you can just walk into the Apple Store in Chester and pick one up
over the counter!

I have a slightly older model than the one available currently which
is faster and cheaper :-(

Scott