[Chester LUG] Good laptops without the Windows tax

George george at goatadsl.co.uk
Fri Mar 2 01:58:32 UTC 2007

Stuart Burns wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> After much searching I have found a laptop builder who doesnt charge
> Windows tax, infact window is extra !

YMMV but I would only buy a business grade laptop from Dell or HP for
two reasons.

Firstly that if it's business grade you're guaranteed that the hardware
won't change for the life of the model - a year or two as this allows
the corporate clients who use Windows to keep to a single ghosted image.
This is good because it means that if you find something which mentions
Linux support on your model of laptop you know that it'll work on your
laptop - whereas with the consumer models suppliers are liable to change
the chipset if they think they can save a dollar that month. It also
means that there will be a lot of that model laptop floating around and
the chances that someone will have already done the hard work of getting
Linux to run are increased.

Secondly - and perhaps more importantly you can buy spares. I have a HP
NC8000 laptop that's about 3 years old. If I go to the HP website I can
still buy any part on my laptop such as replacement keyboards. eBay also
has a wide selection of parts for sale. This is important as batteries
on a notebook are typically guaranteed for a year if you're lucky and I
would expect them to last for two years. If you have a laptop from a
well known brand you will be able to buy replacements for years - which
is good to know.

Oh one other bonus - if you buy a business laptop you can buy a docking
station. I really recommend docking stations if you think you are going
to be unplugging your laptop regularly. It's quicker and tidier and
doesn't put wear and tear on the ports - I've seen quite a few laptops
where the connectors have broken inside which is a pain to fix.

I don't really worry about the "Microsoft Tax", the OEM cost on a laptop
is probably something like £20 and so not worth basting your decisions
on. If you really don't want a copy there's always the reject licence,
demand refund route. Or you could just keep in case you ever had
something you needed to run on Windows in VMware etc.

George