[Chester LUG] which programming language

Bryn Salisbury bryn.salisbury at gmail.com
Wed May 23 11:08:09 UTC 2007

On 23/05/07, Stuart Burns <stuart.james.burns at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here at work I have been given a task of building a program that does
> general house keeping tasks on an image gallary (several gigs of images, all
> mundane im afraid ;) ).
>
>  So I went and broke out the old pascal compiler, and realised it was so
> 1980s (which is when I last used it ;) ) and that it wouldn't cut it. I need
> to create an image gallary, but none of the ones availabe either a) Do what
> we want or b) too flakey/too many "toy" features

Perl or Python is probably your best bet... O'Reilly do "Learning
Perl", which is a nice easy way into learning the language. There's a
lot of documentation out on the web and chances are, if you need a
library to do something, it's probably already been written.

On the other hand though, Python is also quite good (again has loads
of modules written for it). It's an object oriented language and
shouldn't be too hard to get to do what you're after. One of the best
introductions I've seen to it is written by a guy called Mark Pilgrim,
it's called "Dive into Python" (http://www.diveintopython.org/).

HTH