[Chester LUG] which programming language

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Thu May 24 22:56:49 UTC 2007

[snip]
> I was thinking Perl, but its just so "strange" or maybe Java. I'm not
> really doing anything fancy but I really want to get coding. I did
> some very very basic Java back at Uni, but its all forgotten now,
> although I do remember about Objects, inheritance etc etc.
>
> Any advice ?

I would agree with the posts advising Perl, Python or Ruby. If you find
Perl ``strange'', then go for Ruby. It's v straightforward. However
Python imposes a little more discipline of thought, and seems far
more logical.

Regardless, there's no need to do all of the hard work - use a framework
like Django (Python) or Rails (Ruby). Ruby and RoR are very well
documented, and the NW Ruby User Group is very supportive.

If you want a fun option, take a look at the Smalltalk framework,
Seaside :-)  Objects and inheritance without the vast, sprawling
mass of libraries that is Java.

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                         rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                     www.M6-IT.org
M6-IT CIC                                        +44 (0)779 456 07 14

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2[TM] Project Management
Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office: 4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - cymru at m6-it.org