[Chester LUG] which programming language

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Thu May 31 04:55:26 UTC 2007

> > I would agree with the posts advising Perl, Python or Ruby. If you
> > find Perl ``strange'', then go for Ruby. It's v straightforward.
> > However Python imposes a little more discipline of thought, and
> > seems far more logical.
>
>  dangerous ground Richard:) Next you will be saying you prefer emacs
> to vi

Ha! This must be the only list where I haven't sung
the praises of Emacs then ;-P

However while vi should be avoided at all costs [1], there
are reasons to choose any out of Perl, Python and Ruby
- it depends upon the project and programmer. Additionally
in 90 per cent of products requiring one of these three,
any of them will do a decent enough job :-)

What I'm saying is that the choice will /usually/ come down
to non-technical factors.

On Vi/Emacs - how about half an hour on each at the LUG meeting,
demonstrating the best features of each :)

 - Richard

[1] /ducks and runs

Richard Smedley,                                         rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                     www.M6-IT.org
M6-IT CIC                                        +44 (0)779 456 07 14

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2[TM] Project Management
Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office: 4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.

Welsh office/Swyddfa Gogledd Cymru: e-mail / e-bost - cymru at m6-it.org