[Chester LUG] Re: [SC.LUG] BBC get Boll****d by Government.

George george at goatadsl.co.uk
Sun Sep 9 20:10:45 UTC 2007

Roger Gibson wrote:
> I am still not convinced.   All it says about Linux is
>
> The BBC Trust has committed to making sure the BBC would meet calls for
> non-Windows versions of the iPlayer "as soon as possible" said the
> government statement.

Indeed.

I think the problem is that they have been asking for the wrong thing.
The petition asks for a solution that doesn't require a Microsoft
operating system when had they asked for open formats and non-DRM then
the players would have rapidly taken care of themselves.

If the DRM requirement is maintained then there might be a Mac version
but I think they'll announce at one of the 6 monthly reviews that Linux
is technically impossible to provide a solution for.

I can't see them ever managing to go for a non-DRM solution though, all
the commercial channels would complain to the government that the BBC
was using it's public funded resources to stifle competition in the sector.

George