[Chester LUG] Ubuntu DVD playback

M. Crilly e-mail at mcrilly.co.uk
Sat Apr 26 00:31:25 UTC 2008

Paul Williams wrote:
> I have full dvd playback available in ubuntu hardy with totem.  I
> can't remember exactly how I did it.  I know i searched for codecs on
> the net and some fellow posted something about grabbing Gstreamer
> plugins from the restricted repositories.
>
> All I can find is: Totem Movie Player 2.22.1 Using Gstreamer and
> gnome.  If you can tell me how I can look for the plugin I'm using,
> I'll post.
>
> This probably doesn't help much, but hey ho!
>
> > Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 23:38:16 +0100
> > To: chester at mailman.lug.org.uk
> > From: e-mail at mcrilly.co.uk
> > Subject: [Chester LUG] Ubuntu DVD playback
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > So I decided to give Ubuntu a try (the latest release, of course)
> > and yes, it's nice. I like the fact it uses FF3-beta, for one. However,
> > I have a headache from trying to get DVD playback working. I've
> > installed the restricted media repository, libdvdcss, mplayer, gxine,
> > the lot... Totem can now play wmv's (that's my porn sorted), AVIs and
> > even videos from YouTube using the YouTube plugin... but not DVDs.
> >
> > Any help would be great. I've read a lot of guides on the 'net, to
> no avail.
> >
> > - mc

Hi,

    Well thanks for the reply. I actually managed to get it working. I
added the medibuntu repository and installed libdvdcss3 and VLC and
mplayer were more than happy to play DVDs then. Although, the hue
setting was completely out of whack. I had to set the hue to 360 in VLC
and bring it down in mplayer by pressing and holding '5'.

- mc