[Chester LUG] eeepc ubuntu upgrade

Paul Williams wilp4a at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Apr 27 07:47:55 UTC 2008

As we discussed at the meet, I was trying to change my 2G surf eeepc to Ubuntu.  Here's the update:

Install to SDHC, deleting partitions on SSD
Install Hardy Desktop = failed - process halted
 Install to Gutsy Desktop = failed - process halted
Install to Feisty Alternate = failed - Ethernet and Wifi disabled.  Unable to reinitialise them
Install to Hardy Alternate = failed - Refused to move beyond login screen
Install to Gutsy Alternate = successful (so far) - Ethernet working and updates in progress.

Upgrade to Hardy?  Word on the web is not recommended for the eeepc at this time.  Several key drivers disabled.

Hope this helps those of you who are Ubuntu fans and those who expressed an interrest in my eeepc last thursday.

Cheers

Paul