[Chester LUG] Ubuntu DVD playback

Paul Williams wilp4a at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Apr 27 22:49:41 UTC 2008

Cheers.  Grabbed the updates.  Gotta find me a DVD to test now...

Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 19:52:09 +0100
From: e-mail at mcrilly.co.uk
To: chester at mailman.lug.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Chester LUG] Ubuntu DVD playback

You may need to install the dvdnav library that enables DVD players to play DVD's with a menu.

On 4/26/08, Paul Williams <wilp4a at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

Glad to hear its working.  I've checked, I can play dvds with totem (still haven't got the hang of VLC!), but no menus.  Any ideas?

> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 01:31:19 +0100
> To: chester at mailman.lug.org.uk

> Subject: Re: [Chester LUG] Ubuntu DVD playback

> From: e-mail at mcrilly.co.uk
>
> Paul Williams wrote:

> > I have full dvd playback available in ubuntu hardy with totem. I
> > can't remember exactly how I did it. I know i searched for codecs on
> > the net and some fellow posted something about grabbing Gstreamer

> > plugins from the restricted repositories.
> >
> > All I can find is: Totem Movie Player 2.22.1 Using Gstreamer and
> > gnome. If you can tell me how I can look for the plugin I'm using,

> > I'll post.
> >
> > This probably doesn't help much, but hey ho!
> >
> > > Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 23:38:16 +0100
> > > To: chester at mailman.lug.org.uk

> > > From: e-mail at mcrilly.co.uk
> > > Subject: [Chester LUG] Ubuntu DVD playback
> > >

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > So I decided to give Ubuntu a try (the latest release, of course)
> > > and yes, it's nice. I like the fact it uses FF3-beta, for one. However,
> > > I have a headache from trying to get DVD playback working. I've

> > > installed the restricted media repository, libdvdcss, mplayer, gxine,
> > > the lot... Totem can now play wmv's (that's my porn sorted), AVIs and
> > > even videos from YouTube using the YouTube plugin... but not DVDs.

> > > Any help would be great. I've read a lot of guides on the 'net, to
> > no avail.
> > >
> > > - mc

> Hi,

> Well thanks for the reply. I actually managed to get it working. I
> added the medibuntu repository and installed libdvdcss3 and VLC and
> mplayer were more than happy to play DVDs then. Although, the hue

> setting was completely out of whack. I had to set the hue to 360 in VLC
> and bring it down in mplayer by pressing and holding '5'.
>
> - mc

Miss your Messenger buddies when on-the-go? Get Messenger on your mobile!

M. Crilly
http://www.wicked-awesome.net/