[Chester LUG] Fwd: [lugmaster] [S0107981 at Cumbria.ac.uk: [admin] [Feedback] Press Release - Prostesters to Picket Shareholders at BT PLC AGM]

Michael Crilly e-mail at mcrilly.co.uk
Sun Jun 1 14:56:19 UTC 2008

I don't close my blinds/curtains - again it boils down to personal
preference. If someone comes onto my property to look through my windows...
well, my father is ex-special forces and a very large man - I'll say no
more.

The biometric information isn't absolute, though. They can't say, "OK well,
your biometric ID matches a crime committed in London" - I've never been
London... ever. The crime would need to be commitment in my area, whilst I'm
present, not to mention the other facts of the case. Biometric/DNA evidence
isn't absolute, it's merely accepted in court.

I can be held without charge for 28-42 days without charge - but only under
the terrorism act; and act of, or involvement in, terrorism has to be
proven. No disrespect, but both you and Paul have gone to extremes to prove
an already perfectly valid point that I understand and accept - Phorm
invades your privacy.

I do value my privacy and there are lines I don't want companies crossing -
this isn't one of them as it's what I expect from greedy, money-grabbing
companies that care not for your well being.

Why did the council watch that mother? I father does that very job - he's a
P.I. now - I can assure you the council obtain permission from a Judge,
which isn't easy. There must have been a reason for it? :)

On 6/1/08, David Holden <dh at iucr.org> wrote:

> On Saturday 31 May 2008, Michael Crilly wrote:
> > I have strange feelings towards this Phorm thing. I don't mind being
> > "spied" on, if you can call it that, because I have nothing to hide; just
> > as I don't mind CCTV, biometric ID cards, DNA tests and databases - I
> don't
> > break the law and I don't have a criminal record it is therefore only in
> > place to assist me, not hinder me.
>
> There are two obvious problems with the "nothing to hide" argument.
>
> Firstly if you have nothing to hide ask yourself the question "why do I
> close
> my curtains in the evening?", presumably you aren't doing anything illegal
> in
> the evening.
>
> Secondly it assumes that these methods of surveillance function without
> error.
> You may not mind having your biometrics on a national database however if
> that database through error of function, design or both matches your record
> against particular criminal activity, disruption to you life will be more
> than minimal.
>
> Given that government IT projects currently have a 70 percent(!!!) failure
> rate the second of these problems is not unlikely.
>
> Combine this with legislation that will allow you to be held without charge
> for 28 (42) days and mass surveillance seems to be a little less benign.
>

> Also beware arguments along the lines that powers introduced to allow
> pervasive surveillance will only be used in serious cases recently Poole
> council used the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA) to draw up a
> list of a mother's movements showing the times and exact routes of school
> runs with her children. These included detailed notes such as "female and
> three children enter target vehicle and drive off" and "curtains open and
> all
> lights on in premises". The mother said her daughter was having trouble
> sleeping because she feared "a man outside watching us". You may ask why
> were
> they using an act designed for serious crime or terrorism, the family had
> recently sold their house but were still living in it to qualify for the
> local school..
>

> Dave.
>

> > However, the thing that does boil my blood about Phorm is purely the fact
> > they're breaking the law. I hate, with a passion, big companies thinking
> > they can just do as they please and are above the law - i.e. MS.
> >
> > That's my two-cents on the matter :P
> >

> --
> Dr. David Holden.
>
> See: <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
> regarding Word or PowerPoint. GPG key available on request.

M. T. Crilly
http://www.mcrilly.co.uk/