[Chester LUG] Security

Roger Downing r.downing at dl.ac.uk
Wed May 21 19:32:24 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 21 May 2008 18:56:49 Michael Crilly wrote:
> Firewall - again, what distro? Ubuntu has iptables ready to go. To
> make it easier install firestarter.
Firestarter is good, or indeed Shorewall. Firestarter is probably more simple
to use though. Realistically though, if you are not running any services such
as web servers or things of that ilk (things that others would connect _to_ )
then a firewall is not useful.
Clam AV is good, but does not operate in the same way as Windows antivirus
tools. It's meant to be used periodically, scanning a system for infected
files. It (afaik, I may be wrong) does not intercept file accesses like
Norton AV and friends. Also, I know it's a bit blase of me, but the virus
threat for linux machines is still really only theoretical. Proof of concept
viruses have been written but the writers have a hard job on their hands
coping with the many different systems out there. A windows machine is a
windows machine is a windows machine, so if you can infect one you can infect
them all (modulo patches etc).
The worrisome things are the rootkits but once again the typicl attack vectors
are going to be active services your machine offers.

> I haven't installed antivirus my self.
Me neither. I found a good use for it though was to scan the Windows install
also on the computer when that got knocked out by a virus.

> If you are on ubuntu, then please! Reconfigure the default sudo
> configuration file. It's poorly designed and a normal user's password
> is as good as the root password - not good.
How would you change things? I'm with you in that it's better to become root
with the correct password, but for ease of use it's good to only have to
remember your login password plus have the benefit of cached credentials
meaning frequent use of admin programs does not require repeated
authentication.

--
Roger Downing
eScience systems administrator