[Chester LUG] Security

Roger Gibson rcgibson at talktalk.net
Wed May 21 19:59:17 UTC 2008

Roger Downing said the following on 21/05/2008 20:32:
> How would you change things? I'm with you in that it's better to become root
> with the correct password, but for ease of use it's good to only have to
> remember your login password plus have the benefit of cached credentials
> meaning frequent use of admin programs does not require repeated
> authentication.
What about the situation if (when) your system crashes, maybe a critical
disc error, and you attempt recovery with a live CD or whatever.  Won't
you need to have remembered the root password to be effective.  A ploy I
have adopted in the past is to set up a second (super)user with root
permissions, but with my full set of aliases, including safety things
like rm -i, and done all my root stuff there.  Making it easy to become
root, allows the enemy within to creep up when you go for a coffee or
whatever.  It might just be mischief making, but it can cause havoc.
There are enough easy ways to remember good root passwords.  I'm a bit
long in the tooth, but I have been grateful for having done things properly.

Roger