[Chester LUG] Fwd: [lugmaster] [S0107981 at Cumbria.ac.uk: [admin] [Feedback] Press Release - Prostesters to Picket Shareholders at BT PLC AGM]

Les Pritchard les.pritchard at gmail.com
Sat May 31 11:08:25 UTC 2008

After our Phorm conversation in the LUG meet this week I thought this was
interesting...

----- Forwarded message from S0107981 at Cumbria.ac.uk -----

To: admin at lug.org.uk
From: S0107981 at Cumbria.ac.uk
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 23:23:56 +0100
Subject: [admin] [Feedback] Press Release - Prostesters to Picket
       Shareholders at BT PLC AGM

Alexander Hanff sent a message using the contact form at
http://lug.org.uk/contact.

I know this is not Linux related, but I am a long term and well known Linux
user here in the UK so I thought maybe you guys could support me by posting
this out to your lists and newsletters:

Press Release - Immediate Release

Protesters to Picket shareholders at BT PLC Annual General Meeting - 16th
July 2008

On 16th July 2008 there will be a full day protest against the use of Deep
Packet Inspection for the purpose of behavioural profiling.  The event will
focus on the plans by BT PLC, Virgin Media and Car Phone Warehouse to
introduce deep packet inspection technologies through exclusive contracts
with Phorm Inc.

Since Phorm issued a press release on 14th February 2008 regarding these
exclusive contracts there has been a storm of outrage amongst the public,
leading academics, privacy advocates, Members of Parliament, Members of the
European Parliament, Peers in the House of Lords and the industry as whole.
The technology has been called illegal by Foundation for Information
Policy Research, which was recently supported by a statement from the
European Commission.

As a result of the negative publicity generated over the past 3 months
Phorm Inc.'s share price has plummeted by approx 70% and continues to
struggle to develop confidence from investors.

In 2006/2007 BT PLC have admitted to running covert trials of the
technology without first obtaining the consent from customers required by
EU and UK Data Protection and Communications regulations, directives and
legislation.  However, to date neither the Information Commissioner nor the
Secretary of State have held BT PLC to account for these allegedly illegal
actions.

Therefore, the growing public campaign to seek justice for the victims of
these covert trials and the wider mission of stopping the technology from
being deployed, has led to an organised one day protest in London, UK.
There is expected to be a significant press and media presence at the event
which will begin at the Barbican Centre, continue on to BT Centre (BT's
corporate HQ) and finally end with a march on to Charing Cross Metropolitan
Police Station in the early evening.  On arrival at the Metropolitan Police
station a full case file with witness testimonies and supporting evidence,
along with a petition demanding a criminal investigation will be handed to
the senior officer on duty.

For more details about the event, please visit the following two web
sites:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/30/bt_agm_phorm_protest
http://www.nodpi.org

If you require further information please contact me by reply.

Sincerely,

Alexander Hanff
University of Cumbria

----- End forwarded message -----