[Chester LUG] Fwd: [lugmaster] [S0107981 at Cumbria.ac.uk: [admin] [Feedback] Press Release - Prostesters to Picket Shareholders at BT PLC AGM]

Michael Crilly e-mail at mcrilly.co.uk
Sat May 31 13:46:13 UTC 2008

I have strange feelings towards this Phorm thing. I don't mind being "spied"
on, if you can call it that, because I have nothing to hide; just as I don't
mind CCTV, biometric ID cards, DNA tests and databases - I don't break the
law and I don't have a criminal record it is therefore only in place to
assist me, not hinder me.

However, the thing that does boil my blood about Phorm is purely the fact
they're breaking the law. I hate, with a passion, big companies thinking
they can just do as they please and are above the law - i.e. MS.

That's my two-cents on the matter :P

On 5/31/08, Les Pritchard <les.pritchard at gmail.com> wrote:

> After our Phorm conversation in the LUG meet this week I thought this was
> interesting...
>

> ----- Forwarded message from S0107981 at Cumbria.ac.uk -----
>
> To: admin at lug.org.uk
> From: S0107981 at Cumbria.ac.uk
> Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 23:23:56 +0100
> Subject: [admin] [Feedback] Press Release - Prostesters to Picket
>        Shareholders at BT PLC AGM
>
> Alexander Hanff sent a message using the contact form at
> http://lug.org.uk/contact.
>
> I know this is not Linux related, but I am a long term and well known Linux
> user here in the UK so I thought maybe you guys could support me by posting
> this out to your lists and newsletters:
>
> Press Release - Immediate Release
>
> Protesters to Picket shareholders at BT PLC Annual General Meeting - 16th
> July 2008
>
> On 16th July 2008 there will be a full day protest against the use of Deep
> Packet Inspection for the purpose of behavioural profiling.  The event will
> focus on the plans by BT PLC, Virgin Media and Car Phone Warehouse to
> introduce deep packet inspection technologies through exclusive contracts
> with Phorm Inc.
>
> Since Phorm issued a press release on 14th February 2008 regarding these
> exclusive contracts there has been a storm of outrage amongst the public,
> leading academics, privacy advocates, Members of Parliament, Members of the
> European Parliament, Peers in the House of Lords and the industry as whole.
> The technology has been called illegal by Foundation for Information
> Policy Research, which was recently supported by a statement from the
> European Commission.
>
> As a result of the negative publicity generated over the past 3 months
> Phorm Inc.'s share price has plummeted by approx 70% and continues to
> struggle to develop confidence from investors.
>
> In 2006/2007 BT PLC have admitted to running covert trials of the
> technology without first obtaining the consent from customers required by
> EU and UK Data Protection and Communications regulations, directives and
> legislation.  However, to date neither the Information Commissioner nor the
> Secretary of State have held BT PLC to account for these allegedly illegal
> actions.
>
> Therefore, the growing public campaign to seek justice for the victims of
> these covert trials and the wider mission of stopping the technology from
> being deployed, has led to an organised one day protest in London, UK.
> There is expected to be a significant press and media presence at the event
> which will begin at the Barbican Centre, continue on to BT Centre (BT's
> corporate HQ) and finally end with a march on to Charing Cross Metropolitan
> Police Station in the early evening.  On arrival at the Metropolitan Police
> station a full case file with witness testimonies and supporting evidence,
> along with a petition demanding a criminal investigation will be handed to
> the senior officer on duty.

> [...]

M. T. Crilly
http://www.mcrilly.co.uk/