[Chester LUG] Microblogging

Dan Lynch biglynchy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 11:27:09 UTC 2009

Yes that's a good point, I license almost everything I do under Creative
Commons because I believe strongly in it but I can see why it would make
others feel uncomfortable and it's a completely personal decision. I always
thought you could sign up and just leave that box unticked, does it not let
you sign up without a CC license? I've never tried you see. I assumed that
was optional :S

The CC-SA license is quite liberal, I usually use CC-BY-SA and sometimes the
non commercial clause too. If we're just posting little updates about
meetings in Chester and so on thought I don't see how anyone else could
really make use of them in a damaging way. We want to spread that
information. Most services state in their terms and conditions that anything
you post is owned equally then by the operator of the website, like
Facebook. If you post any photos on Facebook they then own them, there was a
big controversy about that last year. I find that far more worrying than CC.

As I said though I totally respect that some people won't feel comfortable
posting under CC, that's why I thought it was optional. If it isn't optional
then I can understand why you might not want to sign up :)

Dan