[Chester LUG] Im after peoples opinion on Novell SLES

Stuart Burns stuart.james.burns at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 21:46:31 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

I'm just after a bit of an opinion, perhaps a sanity check. This year I have
to buy approximately 50-100 SLES licenses (at approx £1500 over the life of
the server for updates), due to Netware going EOL at the end of the year.
That in itself wouldn't be a problem except for what I percieve to be a
really stupid issue to have.

I expressed last night how crap Novell could be. Today, after battling with
YOU (Yast Online Update) I found that you cannot create local repo servers
without buying an additional product called ZenWorks. This adds a huge cost
to the licences. It means almost £200,000 over 5 years, including ZenWorks.
It is stupid situations like this with NetWare that annoy me.

It seems to be death by 1000 cuts. (or you want this functionality, you pay
for it)

The problem with rip and replace is mainly NetWare proprietry crap, like
Access Manager and majorly, GroupWise. Has anybody ever been in this
position. If so, what did you do ?

Regards

Stuart