[Chester LUG] A question re OS updates.

Ben Arnold iamseawolf at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 22:26:38 UTC 2009

Hi Stuart --

just scribbling this as a quick note rather than a full explanatons,
from what I get from memory so don't expect much!

2009/3/6 Paul Williams <wilp4a at hotmail.co.uk>:
> If its GPL2, it should include source codes for the updates, but that (I
> think) is the bare minimum that they are obliged to do.

As I understand it, as long as it makes the source code & license
available -- even on request -- and pass on any credits and rights
that the originator/creator expressed (not imposing further
restrictions), I think it's okay. The updates situation then just
becomes one aspect of the quality of the software generally.

The only checking I'm doing on this is a quick gander at Wikipedia
though, that should be a sufficent enough disclaimer!

> At the moment, I am trying to get Oracle Unbreakable linux working.

Heh, 'Unbreakable' once you superglue it together and wrap it in
cotton wool in a nuclear bunker... you get the jist.

Hope it helps slightly,

Ben

--
|             seawolf             |