[Chester LUG] At last I'm getting some ware

Dan Lynch biglynchy at gmail.com
Sat May 2 21:29:10 UTC 2009

Nice work getting through the install Richard. Not sure why it would take
that long but you got there and that's all that matters. I use Rhythmbox
myself and I used to be a heavy Last.fm user. I now use Libre.fm instead
which an open source equivalent. I found the Last.fm plugin worked fine for
me in Rhythmbox though. You might need to enable it.

In Rhythmbox got to the Edit menu on the top bar and then choose "plugins".
It's near the bottom. From there you should be able to find the Last.fm
plugin in the list and tick it. You can also enter your details using the
configure button. So it reports songs to your account properly. For
streaming stuff from the site I always found the official last.fm client
worked the best. You should be able to install it with a few clicks in
Ubuntu. Got to Add/Remove on the main Ubuntu menu, type "last" into the
search box to find it quickly, it should be the top option listed. From
there you can just tick it to install and click apply. Happy days

For your boot menu options you'd need to edit the GRUB config file. GRUB is
the bootloader used with most Linux distributions. Do you have SUSE
installed still? You're keeping SUSE I presume on one drive and Ubuntu on
the other? If so and they appear in the same boot menu along with the old
deleted Ubuntu install, you just need to edit the GRUB list file to remove
the one you don't want any more. This might involve some command line work
so I dunno how confident you are with that. Have a read of the follwing
article, it might help -
http://boff.wordpress.com/2007/01/17/editing-bootgrubmenulst-to-change-the-grub-boot-menu/

Someone else might be able to offer more detailed help on the GRUB problem.
It can be a steep learning curve at times with a new OS but it's worth it in
the end. I remember plenty of times in the early days when I felt like
giving up but I'm really glad I didn't now. Good luck!!

Dan
linuxoutlaws.com