[Chester LUG] Ethernet over power

Les Pritchard les.pritchard at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 18:01:33 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I hope you had a good time at the social. I'm now slowy on the mend so will
see you all soon.

I have a question about these ethernet over power systems that are around. I
know they've been mentioned before at the LUG, has anyone got any experience
of using them?  I'm hopefully moving house in the near future and really
can't face cabling CAT5 to all the rooms again. I know that's not the techie
way, but for now I don't want to go round chipping out perfectly good walls
as I spent enough time doing that in the current house!  So I figured that
these solutions could be a way of getting net access / video streaming to
the rooms. I could go with a wireless bridge, but I'm assuming that the
200meg powerline systems should give me a better throughput, even if it
isn't really 200meg.

Am I right in thinking they work across the house's phase and not just a
circuit within it?

Your experiences good or bad will be appreciated!

Thanks

Les