[Chester LUG] Ethernet over power

Roger Gibson rcgibson at talktalk.net
Sun Nov 29 19:36:36 UTC 2009

Hi Les, Glad you are improving.

Re signalling over the mains, I do it.  Bear in mind my internet at the
end of a few miles of damp string telephone line rarely gets up to
1Mbps, so I don't ask a lot.  However, with a long straggly house with
thick stone walls, a wireless router was not really man enough for the
job, so to connect Maire's office to mine at opposite ends of the house
I bought a

Belkin Powerline AV Networking Adapter (200 Mbps)

for about £55 a year ago.  It has two 13A plug units which I plugged in
and it worked without any setting up.  I have a wireless router at each
end which each looks after things locally, wireless to laptops, hard
wired to PC and printserver etc.  Electrically, the rooms are on very
different circuits.  It advised not connecting through my Belkin
Surgemaster, but I forget now whether I tried this or not.  We get
fairly frequent power cuts, but it seems to cope.

I shall be away for a week over the New Year if you want to borrow it to
try.

On a different tack, I had problems recently with a dual boot laptop
having it's Windows 7 system, which had been given to a charity I work
with for nothing by MS, and I had been running successfully and legally
for a couple of months or more, which suddenly started saying the system
was invalid, possibly pirated, and that I should reactivate it.  I
followed the instructions to do this, but it would not reactivate, and
told me to ring someone at MS on a UK 0800 number.  This I did, and the
person who answered quickly said it was too technical for him, and when
could he get a colleague to call.  I stated a time, and on the dot a
very helpful chappie from MS in New Delhi rang, understood the problem
straight away, and asked me to try a few things.  He was not fazed by my
using Firefox, 'it has a lot of good features we must try to copy' , but
confessed himself puzzled by the error message.  He asked to take over
my system, and I watched him looking at a host of registries without
changing anything, all the time telling me clearly what he was doing and
why.  He then said, this is very puzzling, he would have to think about
it and consult his colleagues.  Then he said, 'it has fixed itself', and
sure enough the error message had gone.  He did a few more tests,
confessed to still being very puzzled, 'but then funny things do happen,
but not so often as with Vista.  That was a terrible system'.  He then
promised to ring me in a week, at a time of my choosing, to check it was
still OK.  He was so informative and polite.  Never once was it
suggested I had done anything wrong.  Dual booting was a perfectly
reasonable thing to do.  I've got his personal email address, so if ever
I want help again, I'll try him.  I was so surprised to get polite
helpful common sense from MS, I thought I would share this.

Last Thursday in December is New Year's Eve, second last is Christmas
Eve, any plans for a December meeting!
                     Roger.