[Chester LUG] Geeky spot!

Les Pritchard les.pritchard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 14:20:06 UTC 2010

My son was watching a TV programme called 'Lazytown' this morning. For those
of you without kids, it's a mixture of actors and puppets living in a comic
style world (I'm sure the programme makers explain it far better!).

One of the puppet characters on it is a techie and has a room full of
gadgets and monitors. The monitors all have the usual fancy graphics flying
around the screens looking hi-tech. I spotted that one is actually showing
SETI at Home on it. Then a further look I spotted one monitor running DOS and a
dir /s. Already having sunk into serious geek levels I was looking for
evidence of other real systems. There was something that looked a little
like it could have been a kernel boot screen but I thought I was maybe
looking a bit too much into it.

The story line of the episode was that the guys website was being attacked
by the bad guy (yes kids TV has changed since 'our day'). Lots of wizzy
screens were appearing until the character said he'd have to write some code
to stop it. To my surprise we then brought up a Linux terminal and started
typing genuine commands! There was a kill -9, pipping of commands, a make
command and even a /etc/init.d/network stop!

Ok that is nerdy, but when adult TV programmes always show unrealistic GUIs
it's funny to see a kids programme showing real computing. Naturally I now
approve of this programme :-)

Les