[Chester LUG] Oddity when saving bookmarks

mark_kh at tiscali.co.uk mark_kh at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Apr 3 16:19:13 UTC 2011

Last Thursday, I took my ASUS 901 along to the Bear & Billet where kindly coves
installed Ubuntu in place of the propriety operating system.  That bit went
fine and the machine is purring away happily with this system, so thanks all.

However, just before I left the house on Thursday, I opened Firefox->Library
and exported my bookmarks to an HTML file on my USB stick (I didn't use the
'Backup' option). When I returned home, I opened the new, blank copy of Firefox
and imported the file labelled Bookmarks.html, only to discover that I had
loaded all of the bookmarked locations from my wife's laptop. How? The file was
date-stamped Thursday 18.30, so it is the correct date and time. So, how can it
be from a different computer? True, they are both on the same router (mine via
the wi-fi and hers via cable) but I still cannot see how my copy of Firefox
could possible have saved her bookmarks.  What is possibly significant - or
maybe more deeply puzzling - is that the list of bookmarked sites was not up to
date, but reflects a list that is probably a year or two old.

Does anyone have
any idea what's going on?

Mark