[Chester LUG] Looking to learn a language

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Mon Apr 4 21:20:57 UTC 2011

On 04/04/2011 09:42 PM, Stuart Burns wrote:
> I knew someone would come up with some "odd" ones :)
>
> TBH to my mind, it is just an exercise in seeing what I can do. My day
> job is all VMware and Linux infrastructure so I don't get to do any
> programming (well powershell for vmware automation but thats about it) I
> can hack perl together if I need to.
>
> I can give you an example. I have what I think is a good idea for a
> website, but I don't currently have the skills to implement it :)

It seems to me that the major trend in webdesign are CMS's - something
like Joomla, Wordpress and Drupal (which seem to be three of the most
popular) will allow you to get a long way in designing most type of
websites. Of course, there is no replacement for really understanding
PHP, Perl, CSS, Javascript (or even ASP, if you have to). But it seems
to be the most productive way to get websites of various forms, shapes
and complexity going in a reasonable time frame.

Sebastian