[Chester LUG] Looking to learn a language

Les Pritchard les.pritchard at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 09:15:28 UTC 2011

Hi Stuart,

Some interesting suggestions there. I do feel I need to stick up for Java
here as lots of people like to criticise it (not here though I must add).
Java is a platform (not just a language) that enables to you build anything
from small embedded systems through desktop apps to the large scale
enterprise web applications.

It isn't as fast as something written in C or C++, but it will still be
faster than most of the interpreted languages out there. Plus compilation
provides additional error checking etc. Java is strongly typed, which I
personally prefer. I'm yet to find a reason why you may need weak typing -
maybe it's just the way I program.

The problem with Java is that it is massive. There are libraries to do so
much and that scares some people off. Also like C++ is takes a bit to get
your head around it all at first, but once you get the basics and OO in
general things like Javadoc are great.

Java is the most widely used language so as a skill it's very valuable. The
two types of development jobs that are always out there are Java & PHP, so
that's always a plus (please note I'm ignoring the .net jobs as that's
normally C# and that's just really Java anyway :-) )

Like editors, everyone has their favourites and often dislikes the
competition! I'm not saying that Java is the best for everything, but I've
programmed in it for a long time now and it's always done the job really
well. If I were to start from scratch I may consider going for C++ instead,
but that would limit me slightly. Apart from that I can't see anything else
that would be capable of what I require.

If you fancy something bleeding edge, you could always try Newspeak (
http://bracha.org/Site/Newspeak.html), see FLOSS weekly for an interview
with the creator by Dan.

My thoughts anyway!

Les