[Chester LUG] Looking to learn a language

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Tue Apr 5 11:38:12 UTC 2011

If I didn't have so much invested in Perl I'd probably go Ruby. It's
nicely objected oriented and generally doesn't try to be too clever
*couch* python *couch*.

I would agree with Les, I don't think performance should be a worry with
Java now but it is massive and they abstract the hell out of everything.

I find PHP a mess but it is very powerful.

If you want Java like by more of a scripting language I've always been
meaning to look at either Scala or Judoscript. Judoscript particularly
looks interesting from a sysadmin point of view.

 Cheers,

 Dave.

Dr David Holden. (dh at iucr.org)