[Chester LUG] Good broadband

Stuart Burns stuart.james.burns at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 23:21:34 UTC 2012

Hi Everyone,

As per title. Virgin have just decided to increase my package by over 5%
from the £65 a month I already pay (includes TV and phone!). The thing is,
it's pretty crap anyhow. VPN - Your having a laugh! They advertise 120MBit
broadband, but in reality, they won't let you get anywhere near that speed.

Problems include, limiting speed to 64K/s as soon as there is a sniff of
p2p traffic (Centos 6 anyone?). If you try and download more than about a
gig, ie a vmware ISO, your speeds get capped again. Then the offshore
technical support, who when you say "Mac" Metaphorically sh1t themselves as
it's not in their script and you know it's not your  issue as your modem
isn't getting sync.

I'm looking at Plus.net because as they say "Good honest broadband". I am
not particularly big downloader, maybe 5 - 6 GB a week, sometimes more,
sometimes less.

Any suggestions welcome,

Stu