[Chester LUG] You've heard about the Google thing..

Sebastian Arcus shop at open-t.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 09:39:16 UTC 2012

On 27/01/12 04:21, Michael Crilly wrote:
> </snip>
>
> Stuart, I setup a Postfix/Dovecot server the other week. It was pretty
> painless to be honest, but the issue comes from battling anti-spam
> (which I have yet to implement).
Not sure what your setup is - but I use Exim and Dovecot - and leave the
antispamming business to the desktop end - in Thunderbird (which I think
has SpamPal or SpanAssassin as options). Of course, that only works if
you use desktop clients.

> It's also not using virtual domains or users because I hate the
> thought of running a relational database just for that (what a waste
> of resources).
I use only virtual users - and both Exim and Dovecot can use simple text
files for that. Seems painless enough. I think the same can be done for
virtual domains, with a bit of configuration trickery in both Dovecot
and Exim. I only assume Postfix can do the same. Then again, if the
setup grows significantly - a relational database is fully justified
methinks.

> I'm going to rip it down soon unless you think it's worth keeping and
> building up? I'm happy to share access. I was also thinking of pulling
> down the SMTP side of it and using something else like MX Logic to
> outsource the relaying aspect. For $2/month per mailbox you get triple
> virus scans and mental anti-spam filtering.
Again - not sure if it suits the way things run at your end - but I use
1and1 as regular provider (any other hosting provider would do). I pull
email from 1and1 pop3 boxes using Getmail into Dovecot - and email goes
out through Exim in smart relay mode, then through 1and1's SMTP server.
This way I don't have to keep SMTP ports open to the Internet and worry
about associated security implications. The main advantages of this
setup is that the email storage is on the local IMAP server so:

1. I can back things up locally.
2. I have as much storage space as I want/can provide
3. At clients where the broadband line is slow and large email
attachments are involved, I can do traffic shaping on the SMTP port so
that it doesn't choke the uplink for an hour at a time when a large
attachment is outbound.

In all fairness - the history just revolves into one big circle - as the
above just emulates some of the advantages of running your own Exchange
server - but with open source software.

If I remember correctly, 1and1, 123-Reg and others offer packages with
up to 1000 emails for £2-£3/month all in.

However, if you just want pop3 or imap access without the extra hassle -
why not just connect straight to their servers, without the trouble of
running your own imap/smtp server?

Sebastian