[Chester LUG] Slightly OT: perfect little machine for a low(ish) power Linux server

Stuart Burns stuart.james.burns at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 09:42:30 UTC 2012

I bought one of these the other day. I shoved an extra NIC in it along with
8 GB RAM. They are ok for small little boxes but if you plan to do anything
that requires any moderate grunt, it's a not really up to it.

Having said that, if you want low power and lots of space they are fine.
Just remember you will have to do RAID in software (Unless you want to
spend a few hundred on a P410 or similar)
 and computing the parity across a couple of RAID 5 disks sets underneath
ISCSI was a killer.

Regards

Stuart

On 13 March 2012 00:12, Sebastian Arcus <shop at open-t.co.uk> wrote:

> I remember there being some talk at Liverpool LUG about a suitable machine
> for a low power home server. If anybody here is considering building a
> Linux server for either home or a small business, HP has this Proliant
> Microserver at only £159 (after cahsback). This includes a 250GB hard-disk
> and 2GB ECC memory!
>
> http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-**hp-proliant-turion-ii-n40l-**
> microserver-100-cashback-**658553-421<http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-hp-proliant-turion-ii-n40l-microserver-100-cashback-658553-421>
>
> It seems to me this would make a cracking Linux server for home or a small
> business. I'm not entirely sure why is it so cheap - specially as it has a
> server grade mobo and RAM. Too bad I'm not about to build any server for
> clients at the moment - I'm almost tempted to buy one and keep it just in
> case.
>
> No affiliation with HP or Ebuyer - I just thought somebody might benefit
> from the heads up.
>
> Sebastian

Stuart Burns
E: stuart.james.burns at gmail.com