[Chester LUG] Slightly OT: perfect little machine for a low(ish) power Linux server

Les Pritchard les.pritchard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 11:20:55 UTC 2012

Hi Sebastian,

I also bought one of these and upgraded it to 8gb (max RAM). The build
quality is pretty good, they do feel like a HP device. As Stuart said,
this box would work well for a NAS with FreeNAS or Nexenta on it. It
has 4 drive bays so you could make a really nice small storage box
with the OS on a USB stick. The CPU isn't up to doing SAN/iSCSI type
work so I'd avoid that.

I'm currently using the box with VMWare. I've moved a small collection
of low CPU use VMs to it and they work fine.

The box is pretty quiet, so if anyone needs a box to sit in the corner
of their house it won't drive you crazy!

Les