[Chester LUG] BacHack and LUG meets

Ben Arnold benarnold at fsfe.org
Fri Jun 7 09:52:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jun 07, 2013 at 10:04:34AM +0100, Les Pritchard wrote:
>    Hi all,
>    Thanks to those of you who attended the meeting last night, I think it's
>    safe to say it was a success. There were some good discussions and even
>    the start of a programming project.

Indeed, Thanks Les for showing me how layers of storage stuff can fit together
as it's something I've never been able to see for myself.

I gave a short demo on the basis of OOP. We tried to use short, tangible
examples to explain concepts, and here they are; the lug_events.rb shows
different object definitions (classes), and phone.rb the inheritance through
them: https://github.com/ChesterLUG/Eventomato/tree/develop

This site may be useful for explaining OOP more in prose than code (incl.
concepts that I didn't talk about): http://www.rubyist.net/~slagell/ruby/
Particularly the Classes, Inheritance & Accessors pages. The OOP Thinking
page covers more than I did, if you're interested.

(Les, an aside: interfaces and abstract classes aren't an explicitly
different thing in Ruby. They are just normal classes that act like it,
so basically you start writing Java in Ruby. You can do Singletons very
easily, however, in more than one way.)

>    Thanks very much to Steve for kindly hosting the event.

+1

--
Ben Arnold
Chester, UK